PLAYER NEWS 2014
Nadal A Possible Nominee For Laureus Award
by ATP Staff|
After compiling one of the greatest comeback seasons on the ATP World Tour in 2013, World No. 1 Rafael Nadal is a contender to be nominated for the Laureus World Comeback of the Year Award, it was announced Wednesday.
Nadal is a potential nominee along with the likes of Oracle Team USA, winner of the America’s Cup in September, Brazilian footballer Ronaldinho, Tiger Woods and the Boston Red Sox. The awards themselves will be decided at the 15th Laureus World Sports Awards in Kuala Lumpur on 26 March.
After being sidelined for seven months with a left knee injury, Nadal returned to the ATP World Tour in February 2013 and went on to finish the season with a 75-7 match record. The Mallorcan won two Grand Slam titles at Roland Garros (d. Ferrer) and the US Open (d. Djokovic), five ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crowns and reclaimed the top spot in the Emirates ATP Rankings.
This week, the 27-year-old Nadal is competing at the inaugural Rio Open presented by Claro hdtv, where he contested his 800th tour-level match on Tuesday with a first-round win over Daniel Gimeno-Traver.
- Rivalries 2014 - Djokovic vs. Nadal
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Nadal Optimistic Ahead of 2015 Comeback
- Nadal To Miss Remainder of 2014 Season
- Nadal To Play In Rio Open In 2015
- Nadal Sweeps Into Basel QFs; Coric Records Biggest Win Of His Career