Pro Tennis Internet Network

Del Potro Withdraws From Indian Wells

Indian Wells, U.S.A.

del Potro© Getty ImagesLast year's runner-up Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from the tournament due to a left wrist injury.

Juan Martin del Potro withdrew on Sunday from the BNP Paribas Open due to a left wrist injury.

"It's still hurting a lot," said del Potro. "I'm not feeling 100 per cent. I'm not in good condition to compete."

The 25-year-old Del Potro finished runner-up to Rafael Nadal in last year’s Indian Wells final.

Del Potro was replaced in the draw by lucky loser James Ward, who will now play Feliciano Lopez in the second round.

Del Potro tested his left wrist on Saturday in a doubles match with Marin Cilic. The pair lost to seventh seeds Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic 4-6, 6-3, 10-8. 

"I feel the same pain every day and it bothers me a lot," he said. "I'm trying to be very careful."

World No. 7 Del Potro retired due to the same injury, after losing the first set 7-6(3) against Somdev Devvarman,  in the first round of last week’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.

Facebook Fans

Search News

© Getty Images

Upcoming Tournaments

PLATINUM PARTNERS


Get Your ATP
Fan Credential

  • Insider News
  • Daily Results
  • Mobile Alerts
  • Ticket Offers

© Copyright 1994 - 2014 ATP Tour, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any way or by any means (including photocopying, recording or storing it in any medium by electronic means), without the written permission of ATP Tour, Inc.

Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Enable Mobile

EmailDeliciousDeliciousDiggDiggFacebookFacebookMixxMixxRedditRedditStumbleUponStumbleUpon