CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2014
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Federer, Wawrinka, Murray Play Davis Cup
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
After back-to-back ATP Masters 1000 events in Indian Wells and Miami, players switch their focus from tournament play to Davis Cup, with four of the Top 10 in the Emirates ATP Rankings headlining teams contesting World Group quarter-final ties this weekend.
Davis Cup Quarter-finals
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka and Roger Federer, ranked Nos. 3 and 4 respectively, join teammates in facing Mikhail Kukushkin and the rest of Kazakhstan's team in an indoor Rebound Ace court in Geneva.
Great Britain, which reached the quarter-finals for the first time since 1986 after beating the United States with strong efforts from reigning Wimbledon champion Andy Murray and James Ward, hopes to continue its momentum on red clay in a bout with Italy, led by the in-form Fabio Fognini.
A packed French roster including Richard Gasquet, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gael Monfils plays Germany for a 10th time in Davis Cup competition. Defending champion Czech Republic will be without Tomas Berdych as they go on the road to battle a Japanese team led by Kei Nishikori.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
2 April – David Ferrer (32)
2 April – Julian Reister (28)
2 April – Paul Capdeville (31)
2 April – Matthias Bachinger (27)
3 April – Tommy Haas (36)
4 April – Dudi Sela (29)
6 April – Robin Haase (27)
Player To Watch: Roger Federer
Roger Federer continues his participation in Davis Cup for the 2014 season, playing for Switzerland in a home tie against Kazakhstan. Since his previous singles rubber (d. Bozoljac) against Serbia in the World Group first round in January, Federer has won Dubai (d. Berdych), reached the Indian Wells final (l. to Djokovic) and the quarter-finals in Miami (l. to Nishikori).
How To Watch
Follow all of the action from the Davis Cup by watching live coverage on the ITF website starting 4 April 2014.
Watch Live | TV Schedule
WEEK IN REVIEW
In Case You Missed It...
Miami: World No. 2 Novak Djokovic dominates in his 40th FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting against World No. 1 and top seed Rafael Nadal in the Sony Open Tennis final on Sunday. The Serb saves the only break point he faces and breaks his Spanish opponent three times during the 6-3, 6-3 performance. Following Djokovic's title win in Indian Wells earlier this month, the 26 year old joins Roger Federer (2005-06) as the only players to win the Indian Wells-Miami double twice. Djokovic had previously achieved the feat in 2011.
Djokovic: "I played a great match... everything was working really well."
How The Final Was Won
In doubles, Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan lift their third Miami crown (2007-2008) after defeating Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah 7-6(8), 6-4 in the Sony Open Tennis final. More…
• Nickelodeon slimes Andy Murray as he accepts Nickelodeon’s Kids’ Choice Award for UK History Maker. More...
• Roger Federer takes time out from the Sony Open Tennis to watch the two-time defending NBA champion Miami Heat host the Memphis Grizzlies. More...
• ATPWorldTour.com sits down with Alexandr Dolgopolov to talk about his need for speed away from the tennis court and his karaoke ambitions. Read Q&A...
• We look back at Andre Agassi, who won six titles in eight finals in Key Biscayne, the most of any player. Watch Tribute Video...
• Juan Martin del Potro receives a blessing from Pope Francis after undergoing surgery on his left wrist. The World No. 8 has returned to Argentina to begin his rehabilitation. More...
• It was 10 years ago that Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal began their legendary rivalry on the ATP World Tour. The two have played each other 33 times, with the Spaniard winning 23 of those encounters. Watch Rivalry Video...
• Tickets for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals are now available for public sale. More...
• The ATP World Tour releases an updated calendar for 2015 which includes the weeks for events in Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires. More...
• Nadal has been named as the recipient of the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award at a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur. It is his third Laureus statuette overall. More...
• While in Miami, Fabio Fognini and Guillermo Canas take time to raise funds for over 400 slums across Latin America in the fourth BreakPoint cocktail event, hosted by non-profit TECHO. More...
Photo Gallery: Miami
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Federer, Tiger Woods Are Most Financially Valuable Athletes
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Federer Meets Lindsey Vonn On 'Top Of Europe' In Lindt Challenge
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport