PLAYER NEWS 2014
Del Potro Gives Thumbs Up After Surgery
by ATP Staff|
Juan Martin del Potro successfully underwent surgery on his left wrist Monday at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
“Hi everyone, here I am, still sore from the surgery. Luckily everything went well,” posted del Potro, along with a photo from the recovery room. “Thank you very much for the nice messages you are sending me. Here’s a picture with Dr. Berger and Franco.”
Dr. Berger discovered that the damage in del Potro’s ligament was worse than what they had seen on the high resolution images taken prior to the procedure, but the operation went well. The damaged ligaments were repaired and reinforced, and the Argentine did not require hospitalisation.
“Considering the damage he had in his wrist, it's amazing he was able to play tennis,” said Dr. Berger. “It’s the result of his passion for the sport, his effort of doing well and strength that kept him going. I can't wait to see him play again with all his power.”
Dr. Berger previously performed surgery on del Potro’s right wrist four years ago. The Argentine had won 11 titles since his return to the ATP World Tour, and was named Comeback Player of the Year in the 2011 ATP World Tour Awards.
- Watch Del Potro's Underwater Rehabilitation
- Del Potro "More Determined Than Ever" After Minor Surgery
- 'Smart' DelPo Withdraws From Australian Open
- Del Potro: "I Did More Than What I Expected" In Comeback
- Kukushkin Ends Del Potro's Sydney Run; Troicki Reaches Semis
- Del Potro Beats Fognini For Sydney QF Berth; Goffin Beaten