PLAYER NEWS 2014
Nadal Wins Laureus World Comeback Of The Year Award
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
by ATP Staff|
Rafael Nadal has been named as the recipient of the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award at a ceremony in Kuala Lumpur. It was his third Laureus statuette overall.
Nadal was also in contention to win the Sportsman of the Year award, but he was beaten to the prize by Formula One racing driver Sebastian Vettel.
The Spaniard returned from a seven-month absence in February 2013 to win 10 titles in a career-high 14 finals and finish the season at No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings for a third time.
Nadal won the Laureus Sport of the Year award in 2011 and the Newcomer of the Year award in 2006.
He is currently competing at the Sony Open Tennis, where he is bidding to win his 27th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy and third title of 2014.
Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, who had an outstanding 2014 season and at one point held all four Grand Slam doubles titles and the Olympic gold medal, were nominated in the Laureus World Team of the Year category.
That award was presented to Bayern Munich football club.
- Nadal Drawn In Same Quarter As Djokovic At Roland Garros
- Nadal Reigns In Stats At Roland Garros
- Nadal Awarded Paris' Highest Honour
- Wawrinka Denies Nadal In Rome To Set Federer Clash
- Nadal Enters Unfamiliar Territoriy After Rome QF Loss
- Throwback Thursday: Watch Federer's Thrilling Point In 2006 Final Vs Nadal