PLAYER NEWS 2014
Nadal Watches Real Madrid Champions League Win
by ATP Staff|
Rafael Nadal took a break from his clay-court preparations on Wednesday night to visit the Santiago Bernabéu in Madrid, where he watched Real Madrid defeat German side Borussia Dortmund 3-0 in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League quarter-final.
Nadal is a life-long fan of Real Madrid, although his uncle, Miguel Angel Nadal, enjoyed an eight-year playing career at domestic rival Barcelona. Nadal’s uncle also represented Spain in three World Cups.
Nadal attended a football match during his appearance at the inaugural Rio Open, taking in a football game at the famous stadium at Maracanã, which will host the final of the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Nadal was the guest of honour at the derby match between Flamengo and Vasco and was invited to do the match kick-off.
The 27-year-old Nadal will be back in action in 10 days at the start of the European clay-court swing at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters, where he is bidding to win the title for the ninth time.
- Nadal Drawn In Same Quarter As Djokovic At Roland Garros
- Nadal Reigns In Stats At Roland Garros
- Nadal Awarded Paris' Highest Honour
- Wawrinka Denies Nadal In Rome To Set Federer Clash
- Nadal Enters Unfamiliar Territoriy After Rome QF Loss
- Throwback Thursday: Watch Federer's Thrilling Point In 2006 Final Vs Nadal