BRD NASTASE TIRIAC TROPHY 2014
Vesely Sets Dimitrov Clash In Bucharest; Nieminen Prevails
by ATP Staff|
Jiri Vesely, the recipient of last year’s ATP Star of Tomorrow Award presented by Emirates, notched his eighth win of the year on Monday after he won 84 per cent of his first-service points in a 7-6(3), 6-0 victory over Jeremy Chardy at the BRD Nastase Tiriac Trophy in Bucharest.
The 20 year old will next face 22-year-old Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, who is the top seed at an ATP World Tour event for the first time. Dimitrov won the Acapulco title earlier this year and reached a career-high No. 14 Emirates ATP Ranking last week.
Eighth seed Jarkko Nieminen prevailed 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4) in a first-round battle against Argentine Leonardo Mayer. Both players won 72 per cent of their first-service points and broke serve three times during the two hour, 16-minute match.
Butorac/Klaasen Reach QFs
Second seeds Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen knocked out Romanian wild cards Victor Hanescu and Andrei Patrui 6-1, 7-6(2) in the first round. Butorac and Klaasen, who won the U.S. National Indoor Tennis Championships title in February, are currently No. 4 in the Emirates ATP Doubles Team Rankings.
- Nieminen Celebrates 400th Match Win... A Few Days Late!
- Comeback Kings Nieminen & Sa Reign In Buenos Aires
- First-Time Winner Spotlight: Jiri Vesely
- Vesely Beats Anderson, Now Faces Mannarino For Auckland Crown
- The Last Time... With Jarkko Nieminen
- Cermak Completes Moscow Title Treble Alongside Vesely