MUTUA MADRID OPEN 2014
Djokovic Withdraws From Madrid
by ATP Staff|
World No. 2 Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from the Mutua Madrid Open, having suffered a recurrence of the right arm injury that afflicted him three weeks ago in Monte-Carlo.
“I am very sorry for the Madrid tournament and all the Spanish fans to have to pull out of the Mutua Madrid Open,” said Djokovic on Sunday. “I did everything possible in order to play in Madrid, which is one of the biggest events of the year, but unfortunately my right arm injury has flared up again.
“Now I will take some time to recover and heal my injury, hoping I will be ready for Rome. I look forward to returning to Madrid next year.”
Djokovic had been hoping to recover in time to challenge for his second Madrid crown, having triumphed three years ago (d. Nadal). His next tournament, the Internazionali BNL d’Italia, begins Sunday, 11 May.
- Watch Djokovic Spark Comeback Vs. Nadal In 2011 Miami Final
- Novak's Early Claim For Year-End No. 1 In Emirates ATP Rankings
- Brain Game: Djokovic Serves Up Clever Tactics For Victory
- Djokovic's Desert Dream: How The Indian Wells Final Was Won
- Match Vs Federer Is "The Ultimate Final" Says Djokovic
- Djokovic Blasts Murray To Return To Indian Wells Final