INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA
Tsonga Closes In On Milestone; Fognini Falls
by ATP Staff|
The 11th seed, who was upset by Santiago Giraldo last week in the Mutua Madrid Open second round, saved three break points in the second set and came from 1-4 down in the tie-break. He drew level with Dolgopolov at 3-3 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series.
Watch Tsonga Hot Shot
World No. 21 Dolgopolov, a finalist earlier this season at the clay-court Rio Open (l. to Nadal), fell to a 20-13 season record.
Fognini, making his seventh appearance, had never advanced beyond the second round of Rome's ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament. On Monday, the No. 13 seed lost serve three times against the 56th-ranked Rosol, who won 82 per cent of his first service points and did not face a break point.
Fognini also dropped his Madrid opener last week, defeated by Dolgopolov in three sets.
Frenchman Gilles Simon set a second-round clash with top seed and defending champion Rafael Nadal after defeating Italian wild card Filippo Volandri, 6-2, 6-3. Nadal leads their FedEx ATP Head2Head series 5-1, including a clay-court victory two years ago in the Monte-Carlo semi-finals.
- Djokovic Donates Rome Prize Money To Help Flood Relief Efforts
- The Last Time... With Nestor & Zimonjic
- Dimitrov, Nadal, Murray Feature In Best Rome Hot Shots
- Brain Game: How Novak Tamed Rafa
- Djokovic Triumphs In Rome; Steps Up Bid For Return To No. 1
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Monaco and Isner Headline Clay Events