INTERNAZIONALI BNL D'ITALIA
Monaco Meets Pope Francis In Rome
by ATP Staff|
Juan Monaco declared it was the “nicest day of my life” Wednesday as he had the chance to meet fellow Argentine, His Holiness Pope Francis, at the Vatican.
"He called me last night and he said, 'Juan, you're in Rome, so you have to visit me!'" joked Monaco. "It's really interesting to be here and meet the Pope and to visit the Vatican. It's an amazing feeling to see the Pope up close and how many people came. It's unbelievable how proud Argentinians are that we have an Argentinian Pope. You can feel the love he gives to everybody.
"We had the chance to be at the Pope's public mass and it´s something I will remember for the rest of my life.
"Now I'm going to be focused for my next tournament, my next practice [sessions], but with so much love inside me. I will go to Dusseldorf and Roland Garros, two very important tournaments, especially Roland Garros, which I wait all year for. I hope that the Pope's blessing gives me luck, but above everything else to be healthy."
World No. 54 Monaco will return to action at next week’s Düsseldorf Open, where he is the defending champion.
- Monaco Visits Gstaad's 'Cheese Cathedral'
- Djokovic Donates Rome Prize Money To Help Flood Relief Efforts
- Monaco Begins Düsseldorf Title Defence; Davydenko Sweeps Into Second Round
- The Last Time... With Nestor & Zimonjic
- Dimitrov, Nadal, Murray Feature In Best Rome Hot Shots
- Brain Game: How Novak Tamed Rafa