DUSSELDORF OPEN 2014
The Last Time... With Philipp Kohlschreiber
by James Buddell|
I cooked for myself or others?
Six days ago, when I was at home. I like cooking Bavarian food, which means a lot of meat. I got a big smoker for my birthday, so I am trying to become professional using that.
I met a childhood idol?
It was Boris Becker! He congratulated me after my first-round win in Rome. I don't have many idols.
I lost a bag at an airport?
Two years ago in Indian Wells. I waited for four days to get it. It was my racquet bag, so it was tough to get new racquets. I just worked out in the gym, until I got them.
I shared a hotel room with another player?
It was as a junior, but I am not sure when.
I paid money to hire a tennis court or tennis balls?
In the past 12 years, it hasn't happened!
I played or was on the receiving end of a practical joke in the locker room?
No, never. People know not to mess with me [smiling]. Mika [Llodra] has never done anything to me.
I forgot a family member's birthday?
It was two years ago. I mixed up the months of my father's birthday. I was one month late. We normally go out for a meal, as I don't see my parents too often.
Being famous/well known helped me?
In Dubai this year, we asked the girls on the hospitality desk to go to the top floor of the Burj Khalifa. They said it was sold out. They begged for me and eventually I got there. It was a nice experience.
I strung my own tennis racquet?
It was more than 15 years ago. But I did it quite often as a junior. I play with a lot of topspin, so I broke a lot of strings quickly. I could string a racquet now, but the first one would take me a long time.
I lost something important?
I thought I had lost my mobile phone, but I don't use it too often. I wasn't looking for it, but after four days I wondered, 'Hey, where is my phone?' Overall, I am very organised. I keep my wallet on my right side and my phone on my left side.
I asked someone for their autograph?
I asked Roger [Federer] to sign something for a friend.
I played a sport that might have caused a minor injury?
I have never had an injury from another sport. I play football, but we are always very careful about tackling.
I was asked if I was a tennis player?
When they recognise me at first they say, 'Wow, you're not a big guy. You look so tall on the television'.
I missed a flight?
It has never happened.
I had an unusual fan request?
Nothing unusual, but I regularly get asked for my racquet.
- The Last Time... With Jamie Murray & John Peers
- The Last Time... With Julien Benneteau
- The Last Time... With Dominic Thiem
- The Last Time... With Jarkko Nieminen
- The Last Time... With Dudi Sela
- The Last Time... With Benoit Paire
- The Last Time... With Robby Ginepri
- The Last Time... With Steve Johnson
- The Last Time... With Ivo Karlovic
- The Last Time... With Tomas Berdych
- The Last Time... With Nestor & Zimonjic
- The Last Time... With Jeremy Chardy
- The Last Time... With Feliciano Lopez
- The Last Time... With Vasek Pospisil
- The Last Time... With Bopanna & Qureshi
- The Last Time... With Sergiy Stakhovsky
- The Last Time... With Grigor Dimitrov
- The Last Time... With Gael Monfils
- The Last Time... With Dustin Brown