ROLAND GARROS 2014
The Last Time... With Tomas Berdych
by Kate Flory|
World No. 6 Tomas Berdych is a winner of nine ATP World Tour titles and was runner-up at Wimbledon in 2010 (l. to Nadal). The Czech ended a 16-month title drought in February this year with victory in Rotterdam (d. Cilic) and opened his bid for his first Grand Slam championship at Roland Garros on Sunday. Afterwards, Berdych told ATPWorldTour.com the Last Time…
I cooked for myself or others?
It was before I came here actually. I was cooking at home. My girlfriend cooks well, but she was like, 'You should make dinner once too'. So I said, 'Yeah, sure, why not?'. So I cooked, and I think it was good. She said it was good and I ate it as well and it tasted good. So I can vouch for it. I made salmon with sesame seeds.
I did my own laundry?
Again, it was at home. My girlfriend and I split that. Either she does it all, or I do it all. It was a couple of days ago before I left for Paris.
I shared a hotel room with another player?
Ooooh, that was a really, really long time ago. I would say maybe back to the days of starting my career, playing Futures, 10 or 12 years ago. It was with the son of my former coach. He was playing as well and we were travelling to Futures tournaments together. His name was Navratil. I think he was around No. 200 or No. 300.
I lost something important?
I'm pretty good with that, probably until now! Hopefully it will stay that way. I didn't lose my phone, but once we were on a walking tour in the mountains and it started to rain so badly. I had no place on myself to hide my phone. I had it in my backpack and it was raining so hard that there was a pool of water at the bottom of my backpack. When I took it out it was just dead, flooded. That was two or three years ago.
I asked someone for their autograph?
I don't know if I ever did... I have a few jerseys and presents from other sports. So I ask for the jersey and it comes with a signature. I haven't personally asked someone for a signature. I'm not a signature collector, not even when I was a child.
I strung my own racquet?
I was really a kid, probably 14 or 15 years old. My father was doing it at that time for me and I was always watching him. I said, 'Dad, just teach me, I want to know how'. So I knew how to do it and I did it once, so I can say I've done it. But now if you gave me the machine and the racquet I would have no clue how to do it again!
- The Last Time... With Julien Benneteau
- The Last Time... With Dominic Thiem
- The Last Time... With Jarkko Nieminen
- The Last Time... With Dudi Sela
- The Last Time... With Benoit Paire
- The Last Time... With Robby Ginepri
- The Last Time... With Steve Johnson
- The Last Time... With Ivo Karlovic
- The Last Time... With Philipp Kohlschreiber
- The Last Time... With Nestor & Zimonjic
- The Last Time... With Jeremy Chardy
- The Last Time... With Feliciano Lopez
- The Last Time... With Vasek Pospisil
- The Last Time... With Bopanna & Qureshi
- The Last Time... With Sergiy Stakhovsky
- The Last Time... With Grigor Dimitrov
- The Last Time... With Gael Monfils
- The Last Time... With Dustin Brown