ROLAND GARROS 2014
Berdych Storms Into Quarter-finals
by ATP Staff|
The Czech served 11 aces, limiting Isner to just seven, and hit 36 winners to only 13 unforced errors, claiming victory in one hour and 51 minutes. It was his fifth win in seven FedEx ATP Head2Head meetings with Isner.
"There were quick breaks in each of the sets," said Berdych. "That's something that really helped through all the match, especially against a guy like John. He likes to stay as close as possible, serving well. I think it's a good thing to avoid playing tie-breaks with him. So that was one of my plans in the beginning, and I'm really glad that it was working pretty good."
Watch Berdych Highlights
"I was a little slow out there, but I thought [Berdych] just played well," said Isner. "Thought he played very well. He was a lot better than me today, and that's really all it was to that match out there. He was just the better player."
As he looks to reach the semi-finals at Roland Garros for the first time since 2010 (l. to Soderling), the 28-year-old Berdych will face Ernests Gulbis. Berdych has been to one Grand Slam final in his career, finishing runner-up at Wimbledon in 2010 (l. to Nadal).
Berdych has a 31-8 match record on the season, highlighted by ending a 16-month title drought in Rotterdam in February (d. Cilic) and reaching the Australian Open semi-finals (l. to Wawrinka).
- Murray Records 450th Match Win To Start Wimbledon Title Defence
- Berdych From Sweet Tooth To Birthday Suit
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer, Gasquet Headline Grass Events
- Lopez Beats Berdych, Plays Stepanek In Queen's Club SFs
- Nadal Wins Battle For No. 1; Historic Ninth Roland Garros Crown
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Seeks 700th Win In Halle