ROLAND GARROS 2014
Flying Frenchman ("Not Iron Man") Monfils Strikes Again
by ATP Staff|
Gael Monfils added another spectacular dive to his highlights reel on Thursday at Roland Garros.
After sliding to retrieve a shot next to the sideboard, the Frenchman raced back to the baseline and went airbourne just in time to connect with Jan-Lennard Struff’s next return - sending the ball, his racquet and body flying in all different directions.
“It was not a great dive,” admitted Monfils. “I think it was 5 [out of] 10. Could be better (smiling).
“If you see me dive, it's not because I want to entertain people, it’s more because I want to catch the ball. And I think I have the capacity to do it, and the only way is to dive.
“Between you and me, I'm not stupid because when you dive it's [hard] ground on the floor. I'm not Iron Man. So I'm happy people like it, but I'm not doing that to show off.”
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer, Gasquet Headline Grass Events
- Nadal Wins Battle For No. 1; Historic Ninth Roland Garros Crown
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Seeks 700th Win In Halle
- Brain Game: Rafa's New Tactics Fell Novak
- 'Addicted To Success,' Gulbis Cracks Top 10
- Djokovic Draws Motivation From Ovation