AEGON CHAMPIONSHIPS 2014
Wawrinka To Meet Dimitrov In Queen's Club SFs
The Queen's Club, London, England
by ATP Staff|
Top seed Stan Wawrinka cruised into the semi-finals of the Aegon Championships on Friday with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Marinko Matosevic. He hit 10 aces, losing four of his first service points, and did not face a break point in the 70-minute encounter.
"It was a good match," said Wawrinka. "I was serving well and really big, being aggressive. Not easy at the beginning to return, but then I found my way... I'm happy with my form, and I'm happy to get through and to get the chance to play one more match tomorrow."
Wawrinka has won three titles this year at the Aircel Chennai Open (d. Roger-Vasselin), the Australian Open (d. Nadal) and the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters (d. Federer). He has a 24-6 match record on the season.
Wawrinka takes a 2-0 FedEx ATP Head2Head series lead into his semi-final against fourth seed Grigor Dimitrov, whom he teamed up with in doubles action this week.
"We did some practice together, so I think we know each game pretty well," said Wawrinka. "For me it's more about focusing on my game, to be aggressive, to serve well. I need to push him, try to put him on the defense. But he's been playing well, especially on the grass. He's serving well. He's adapting. His game is perfect for grass."
Dimitrov’s quarter-final opponent, eighth seed Alexandr Dolgopolov, withdrew due to a right thigh strain. Dimitrov also reached the 2012 semi-finals (l. to Nalbandian).
- Best Grand Slam Matches Of 2014 - Nos. 3-5
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Rivalries 2014 - Federer vs. Wawrinka
- Federer Adds To Legacy, Helps Switzerland Clinch First Davis Cup Crown
- Federer/Wawrinka Hand Swiss Advantage In Davis Cup Final
- Brilliant Wawrinka Strikes 61 Winners To Give Switzerland Lead In Davis Cup Final