Darcis Wins Qualifying Opener At Wimbledon
Wimbledon, Great Britain
by ATP Staff|
One year after stunning two-time champion Rafael Nadal in the first round of Wimbledon, Belgian Steve Darcis returned to the All England Club and began his qualifying campaign Monday with a 7-5, 6-3 win over Illya Marchenko.
The 363rd-ranked Darcis injured his right shoulder during his upset over the World No. 1, forcing him to withdraw from his second-round match, and underwent surgery late last year. He made his return to competition two weeks ago and reached the final at a Futures event in Belgium.
The top two seeds in the qualifying draw, Brazilian Thomaz Bellucci and Japan’s Go Soeda, both fell in their first-round matches. Bellucci lost to Australian Luke Saville 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-1 and Soeda to Austrian Martin Fischer 6-4, 7-6(10).
German Peter Gojowczyk, who last week upset Milos Raonic in Halle, lost to Great Britain’s Oliver Golding 6-4, 6-1. Golding will next play Switzerland’s Marco Chiudinelli, who teamed up with Roger Federer for a runner-up finish in Halle.
- Djokovic Kept Busy On Media Tour; Returns To London In November
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Djokovic Returns To No. 1 With Wimbledon Victory
- Resilience A Microcosm Of Federer’s Journey
- Djokovic: “Most Special Grand Slam Final I’ve Played”
- Brain Game: Djokovic's Backhand Key To Wimbledon Win Over Federer