SKISTAR SWEDISH OPEN 2014
Lajovic Battles Into Bastad Second Round
by ATP Staff|
World No. 73 Dusan Lajovic battled into the second round of the SkiStar Swedish Open on Monday in Bastad as he edged Albert Montanes 6-3, 1-6, 7-6(4). The Serb advanced in one hour and 50 minutes, breaking Montanes twice though actually winning three points fewer than the Spaniard in the contest.
The 24-year-old Lajovic is making his debut at this ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tournament and is looking for a return to the form that took him to the Roland Garros fourth round last month (l. to Nadal). He goes on to challenge fourth-seeded Pole Jerzy Janowicz.
Fifth seed Joao Sousa reached the second round when Pere Riba was forced to retire from their first-round match after just one game with a neck strain.
World No. 80 Paolo Lorenzi claimed his first tour-level win since March as he dismissed Swedish wild card Markus Eriksson 6-2, 6-1 in 73 minutes. The Italian was runner-up on clay in Sao Paulo in February (l. to Delbonis).
In the final round of qualifying, Albert Ramos-Vinolas, Radu Albot, Inigo Cervantes and Renzo Olivo all secured main draw berths.
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines Toronto Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field
- Cuevas Wins Maiden Crown In Bastad