HALL OF FAME TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2014
Isner Throws First Pitch At Red Sox Game
by ATP Staff|
After winning his first-round match at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships on Tuesday in Newport, top seed John Isner enjoyed a bit more of the New England summer experience.
Following a straight-sets win over Wayne Odesnik, Isner headed off to Fenway Park to throw the first pitch at a Red Sox game and watch the Sox in action against the White Sox.
"My plan all along was to go to the game and just get a ticket and watch in the nosebleeds," said Isner. "But I got off the court after my first round match and was informed that I was throwing out the first pitch. I was obviously very honoured. It was a thrill for me and I had so much fun.
"I didn't want to throw a ground ball obviously so I made sure I got it to the plate. [Red Sox catcher Daniel Nava] said not often do you see many pitchers my height, so the ball was coming down from a very steep angle, much like my serve."
The 29-year-old Isner continues his Newport campaign on Wednesday against qualifier Austin Krajicek. The right-hander is bidding to win his second ATP World Tour title of the season.
Watch Isner Interview
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines US Open
- Janowicz Breaks Goffin's Unbeaten Streak
- John Isner Takes Over ATP Insider
- Querrey Topples Anderson; Isner Reaches Winston-Salem QFs
- John Isner Takes Over ATP Insider - Sneak Peek
- Isner Controls Destiny, Can Win Emirates Airline US Open Series Bonus Challenge