McEnroe, Stich On Hand To Officially Open Stuttgart's New Grass Courts
by ATP Staff|
The official opening of the new grass courts at the MercedesCup took place on Monday in Stuttgart. In 2015, the ATP World Tour 250 tournament will be played on grass courts.
The ceremony was immediately followed by an exhibition match between former Wimbledon champions Michael Stich and John McEnroe. The 55-year-old American defeated the German Stich in a Match Tie-break 6-4, 5-7, 10-8.
“It was a lot of fun to play on this court and the atmosphere was great," said McEnroe.
“The change to grass is a great opportunity for the MercedesCup," Stich added. "I congratulate the tournament on this brave step."
"Now the grass court season will finally be extended by one week. It is good that the players will have more time to manage the difficult transition from clay to grass."
A crowd of 2,000 spectators watched the live televised match held on the grounds of the TC Weissenhof.
- Vienna Receives ATP Heritage Award; Former Titlists Honoured
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines Toronto Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Haase Receives Furry Friend; Sock Plays Ball
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline