Garcia-Lopez, Giraldo Lead Stuttgart Winners
by ATP Staff|
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain and Santiago Giraldo of Colombia led the list of winners at the MercedesCup in Stuttgart on Wednesday. Play resumed on the clay courts of the TC Weissenhof after rain cancelled all matches on Tuesday.
The sixth-seeded Garcia-Lopez recorded a 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 victory over Italian qualifier Marco Cecchinato in two hours and 1 minute. The 2012 semi-finalist next faces another qualifier, Yann Marti, who triumphed in an all-Swiss battle with Henri Laaksonen.
Seventh seed Santiago Giraldo won 74 per cent of his first serve points in a 6-4, 6-2 triumph over qualifier Mate Delic. His next opponent is Russian Philipp Davydenko, a 6-4, 7-6(8) winner over Slovakian Blaz Rola.
Lukas Rosol edged wild card Alexander Zverev 7-6(7), 7-6(9) in the pair’s first FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting. The 28-year-old Rosol faces either Philipp Kohlschreiber or Jan-Lennard Struff in the second round. Spain’s Daniel Gimeno-Traver (d. Gojowczyk) and Germany’s Benjamin Becker (d. Paire) also made winning starts.
"It was tough to get into a rhythm after two days sitting and waiting [for matches]," said Gimeno-Traver. "I didn't play unbelievably, but finally I could win a match and that was important."
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field
- Bautista Agut Wins Second Title In Four Weeks In Stuttgart
- Kowalczyk/Sitak Capture Stuttgart Crown
- Bautista Agut Beats Fognini In Stuttgart; Plays Rosol For Title