PLAYERS NEWS 2014
Federer, Tiger Woods Are Most Financially Valuable Athletes
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer and golfer Tiger Woods are the most financially valuable athletes on earth. Forbes Magazine reports that in 2013, Federer and Woods each earned $46 million with their names.
It costs tournament organisers more than $1 million just to get a starting guarantee from Federer's management. Meanwhile, Forbes reports, that his 10-year contract with Nike is worth a total of $100 million. More than 14 million people are fans of his Facebook account.
"Consistency for so many years has benefitted Federer's brand value greatly. In his case, it doesn't even matter if he wins another big tournament again," Hans-Willy Brockes, the head of Europäische Sponsoring Börse (ESB), told Credit Suisse.
"A brand's value generally comes from its recognition and the ability to generate sales and earnings based on this recognition. That's why Google and Apple are among the most valuable brands ever, while the brand value of Basler Läckerli cookies is much lower."
Two other professional tennis players, Maria Sharapova and Li Na, rank in the Top 10.
Top 10 Most Valuable Athlete Names
1. Roger Federer (Switzerland), Tennis – $46 million
Tiger Woods (USA), Golf – $46 million
2. LeBron James (USA), Basketball – $27 million
3. Phil Mickelson (USA), Golf – $25 million
4. Maria Sharapova (Russia), Tennis – $23 million
5. Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India), Cricket – $21 million
6. Usain Bolt (Jamaica), Track and field – $20 million
7. Kobe Bryant (USA), Basketball – $19 million
8. Li Na (China), Tennis – $15 million
9. Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Football – $13 million
10. Lionel Messi (Argentina), Football – $13 million
- Federer: All Is Not Lost
- Federer Extends Winning Streak; Djokovic Holds Off Monfils
- Nishikori, Raonic Stretch London Bids In Paris
- Djokovic, Federer Continue Fight For Year-End No. 1; London Berths Up For Grabs
- Federer Captures Sixth Basel Crown, Continues No. 1 Quest
- Federer Clips Karlovic For 11th Basel Final Berth