BET-AT-HOME CUP KITZBUHEL 2014
Goffin To Play Gonzalez In Kitzbühel SFs
by ATP Staff|
Confident after capturing three straight ATP Challenger Tour titles in July – at Scheveningen (d. A Beck), Poznan (d. Rola) and Tampere (d. Nieminen) – the wild card won his second match of the day by breaking Paolo Lorenzi five times in a 6-2, 6-1 victory in 68 minutes.
He will next play qualifier Maximo Gonzalez, who is ranked 26 places lower than Goffin in the Emirates ATP Rankings. The pair has never met before.
Gonzalez held his nerve to beat third seed Lukas Rosol 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in one hour and 40 minutes.
The two other quarter-finals, both in the bottom half of the draw, will take place on Friday. Second seed and defending champion Marcel Granollers plays fifth seed Dominic Thiem and Juan Monaco meets fourth seed Andreas Seppi.
Two Teams Through To Doubles SFs
Finns Henri Kontinen and Jarkko Nieminen knocked out Germans Christopher Kas and Kohlschreiber 7-5, 2-6, 10-6 for a place in the semi-finals, while Daniele Bracciali and Andrey Golubev scraped past Mate Pavic and Andre Sa 6-3, 3-6, 10-7 in 68 minutes.
- First-Time Winner Spotlight: David Goffin
- Goffin Wins Maiden Title In Kitzbühel
- Finns Kontinen/Nieminen Claim Kitzbühel Crown
- Thiem, Goffin Eye First ATP World Tour Title In Kitzbühel Final
- Austrian Thiem Keeps Title Hopes Alive In Kitzbühel, Plays Monaco In SFs
- Kohlschreiber Beaten In Wet Kitzbühel; Granollers Reaches QFs