CITI OPEN 2014
Gasquet Reaches First Citi Open Semi-final
by ATP Staff|
The Frenchman recorded the 6-1, 6-4 victory against the fourth-seeded Nishikori in 59 minutes, improving to 5-0 in their FedEx ATP Head2Head series. The 28 year old delivered nine aces and did not drop serve through nine service games.
"It's true that I've won five matches against [Nishikori], but he's improving," said Gasquet. "He's a very good player so it's a big victory for me to win against him today."
Nishikori, ranked 11th in the Emirates ATP Rankings, claimed his fourth and fifth ATP World Tour titles this season in Memphis and Barcelona, respectively. The 24-year-old Nishikori was playing in his first tournament since making a fourth-round exit at Wimbledon (l. to Raonic).
Watch Gasquet Hot Shot
"[Gasquet] played well and dominated, especially in the first set. I had chances in the second set but I couldn't commit to my returns and made some easy mistakes," shared Nishikori. "He's a very talented player and defends very well."
Giraldo and Pospisil had split sets in their first Tour-level clash 7-6(4), 3-6, 0/30 when the match was suspended due to rain. The pair will resume their semi-final on Saturday afternoon. View Schedule
- Gasquet, Tsonga Power France Into Final
- Gasquet, Tsonga Give France 2-0 Lead Over Czechs
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters
- Raonic Claims All-Canadian Clash For Washington Title
- Rojer/Tecau Win Fifth Team Title In Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines Toronto Field