ATP WORLD TOUR 250 TOURNAMENT
Tel Aviv Tournament Cancelled For 2014
Tel Aviv, Israel
by ATP Staff|
The ATP regrets to announce that the inaugural Negev Israel Open in Tel Aviv, Israel, will not take place in 2014 due to security concerns arising from the military conflict in the region.
The Negev Israel Open had been set to become the first ATP World Tour event in Israel since 1996. The tournament, previously hosted in St. Petersburg, Russia, had been due to take place from 15-21 September.
Chris Kermode, ATP Executive Chairman & President, said: “We regret the ATP World Tour event in Tel Aviv, Israel, will not take place this year. Sadly, we do not feel we can proceed as planned given the situation in the region. Ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organising a world-class event, is our number one priority. We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year. In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region.”
Mr. Asaf Tochmeir, Chairman of the Israeli Tennis Association, said: "We regret the ATP's decision. We at the ITA have done everything to ensure a successful ATP event takes place in Israel. We have raised sufficient funding and have taken care of all organisational requirements.
"On this occasion, I would like to express our most heartfelt concern for the soldiers as well as our condolences for the civilian casualties. We hope to see a swift resolution to the current situation."
- Murray To Face Anderson For 500th Win
- Nadal, Murray, Wawrinka Headline Sunday Action In Miami
- Djokovic Digs Deep; Dolgopolov Edges Robredo
- Tsonga Wins On Comeback; Ferrer, Isner Advance
- Nishikori Makes Emphatic Start In Miami; Sock Beats Fognini
- Raonic Cruises Past Gabashvili In Miami; Dimitrov Beats Pospisil