WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN 2014
Bryans Begin Cincinnati Title Defence
by ATP Staff|
The American twins, four-time champions in Cincinnati (2003, ’08, ’10, ’13), face Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau in the quarter-finals. The Dutch-Romanian pair has claimed five ATP World Tour titles, all in 2014.
Second seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares also advanced with a 7-6(3), 7-6(6) performance over Marin Cilic and Santiago Gonzalez. Last week, the No. 3 tandem in the Emirates ATP Doubles Team Rankings topped Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo in Toronto to retain the Rogers Cup trophy.
Wild cards Steve Johnson and Sam Querrey upset reigning Barclays ATP World Tour Finals champions David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco 7-6(4), 6-4 in their second-round encounter. The Americans, who finished runners-up to Vasek Pospisil and Jack Sock at the BB&T Atlanta Open last month, will battle Robert Lindstedt of Sweden and Poland’s Marcin Matkowski for a berth in the semi-finals.
- Tsonga, Monfils Headline Metz Draw As Emirates ATP Race To London Continues
- Stars Align For Cilic; Focus Turns To Davis Cup
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines US Open
- Federer Holds Off Ferrer For 80th Title, Sixth In Cincinnati
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Returns To Winston-Salem
- Brain Game: Federer's Forward Progress