Djokovic, Nadal, Federer Nominated In #IceBucketChallenge
by ATP Staff|
The world’s Top 3 have all been nominated by celebrities to take part in the #IceBucketChallenge, to raise awareness of the fight against ALS. Djokovic was nominated by One Direction’s Niall Horan, and Nadal by Ben Stiller and wife Christine Taylor, both long-time supporters of Project A.L.S. Federer received his challenge from Gavin Rossdale, who took the icy plunge alongside Jessica Alba and Nicole Richie.
A number of ATP World Tour players have already completed the #IceBucketChallenge to #StrikeOutALS, including Andy Murray, Justin Gimelstob, Milos Raonic, John Isner, Feliciano Lopez, Bernard Tomic, Jack Sock, Ryan Harrison, Tim Smyczek, Rohan Bopanna, Michael Russell, Eric Butorac, Tommy Haas and Nick Kyrgios.
The #IceBucketChallenge has soaked the United States over the past month, with the ALS Association receiving $15.6 million in donations, compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year.
ALS has affected the tennis family in recent years. ATP Executive Chairman & President Brad Drewett passed away on 3 May, 2013, after his battle with the disease, which has no cure. Former ATP pro Jerome Golmard is currently fighting the disease, and WTA staff member Angie Cunningham has also been diagnosed.
- Best Grand Slam Matches Of 2014 - Nos. 3-5
- Rivalries 2014 - Djokovic vs. Nadal
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Rivalries 2014 - Federer vs. Wawrinka
- Federer: “This One’s For The Boys”
- Federer Adds To Legacy, Helps Switzerland Clinch First Davis Cup Crown