US OPEN 2014
Cilic To Face Anderson In Third Round; Monfils, Gasquet Advance
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
Cilic, the No. 14 seed and a two-time quarter-finalist in New York City, came through a 7-6(2), 6-2, 6-4 victory over qualifier Illya Marchenko – hitting 37 winners, including nine aces – on Friday.
Thirty minutes earlier, Anderson had knocked out Jerzy Janowicz, in a tricky second-round encounter, 6-7(8), 6-2, 6-1, 6-3 to equal his best result at the US Open. Anderson, the No. 18 seed, reached the third round in 2010 (l. to Gasquet) and 2011 (l. to Fish).
Watch Monfils Interview
The 27-year-old Monfils, who will next take on fellow Frenchman and No. 12 seed Richard Gasquet, hit 45 winners – and committed two fewer unforced errors to win in two hours and seven minutes. His best run at Flushing Meadows came in 2010, when he reached the quarter-finals (l. to Djokovic).
Last year's semi-finalist Gasquet proved to be too strong for Paolo Lorenzi in a 7-6(4), 6-3, 6-3 win in two hours and 19 minutes. He converted four of his 18 break point opportunities.
- Monfils Blasts Past Federer To Keep France's Davis Cup Hopes Alive
- Federer, Wawrinka Lead Swiss Bid For Davis Cup Final
- Cilic Visits Kelly & Michael, Charlie Rose, David Letterman
- Cilic Reads Top 10 List On Letterman
- Cilic Crowned US Open Champion, Ends Nishikori's Historic Run
- Nishikori: “I Showed I Can Beat Anybody”