US OPEN 2014
Nestor/Zimonjic, Paes/Stepanek March On At US Open
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
Nestor, the 2004 champion (w/Knowles), made his US Open debut in 1994 and is appearing in the doubles draw for a 21st straight year. Zimonjic, meanwhile, is making his 16th straight visit to Flushing Meadows. Nestor and Zimonjic achieved their best result together in 2009, when they reached the quarter-finals.
Sixth seeds and defending champions Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek booked a third-round berth after edging Yen-Hsun Lu and Jiri Vesely in a first-set tie-break 7-6(3) 6-3. The Indian-Czech team also reached the final in 2012 (l. to Bryan/Bryan).
Seventh-seeded Spaniards David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco, the reigning Barclays ATP World Tour Finals champions, defeated Mate Pavic and Andre Sa 7-6(4), 7-5 to claim their place in the third round.
Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen, the No. 12 seeds, had drawn level with Robert Lindstedt and Jurgen Melzer at one set apiece, 6-7(5), 6-2, 1-0, when their opponents retired from the second-round match. Butorac and Klaasen reached the Australian Open final earlier this year (l. to Kubot/Lindstedt).
- Federer, Wawrinka Lead Swiss Bid For Davis Cup Final
- Cilic Visits Kelly & Michael, Charlie Rose, David Letterman
- Cilic Reads Top 10 List On Letterman
- Cilic Crowned US Open Champion, Ends Nishikori's Historic Run
- Nishikori: “I Showed I Can Beat Anybody”
- Cilic Overpowers Nishikori: How The US Open Final Was Won