US OPEN 2014
Bryans Begin Quest For 100th Title; Paes/Stepanek Open Defence
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
The 36-year-old twins won their first title since April two weeks ago in Cincinnati with victory over the undefeated tandem of Vasek Pospisil and Jack Sock, avenging their loss in the Wimbledon final.
The sixth seeds won their second Grand Slam championship together last year when they defeated Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares in the final. They will continue their campaign against Yen-Hsun Lu and Jiri Vesely, who came from a set down to beat Matthew Ebden and Ivo Karlovic 6-7(1), 6-4, 6-4.
Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez, the No. 11 seeds, rallied for a 6-7(5), 7-5, 6-4 win over Australians Nick Kyrgios and Bernard Tomic. The Spaniards reached the semi-finals two years ago at the US Open.
Former finalists Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski dismissed Andre Begemann and Julian Knowle 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round. The ‘Polish Power’ finished runners-up at Flushing Meadows in 2011 in their lone Grand Slam final.
- Federer, Wawrinka Lead Swiss Bid For Davis Cup Final
- Cilic Visits Kelly & Michael, Charlie Rose, David Letterman
- Cilic Reads Top 10 List On Letterman
- Cilic Crowned US Open Champion, Ends Nishikori's Historic Run
- Nishikori: “I Showed I Can Beat Anybody”
- Cilic Overpowers Nishikori: How The US Open Final Was Won