US OPEN 2014
Nishikori Completes Raonic Win At 2:26 a.m. Tuesday Finish At US Open
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
The pair’s fourth meeting ended at 2:26 a.m. local time Tuesday morning, tying the record for the latest finish at Flushing Meadows – venue of the final Grand Slam championship of the year.
“It's going to bring confidence for sure for the next round,” said Nishikori. “[It was a] really tough five sets. [I’m] very happy to win today. I'll try to recover [for] tomorrow [versus Wawrinka]. Tomorrow is going to be very important.”
Raonic, who hit 86 winners including 35 aces, drops to a 36-13 match record on the season.
Nishikori and Raonic are both pushing to clinch singles spots at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from 9-16 November.
Nishikori started the tournament at No. 10 in the Emirates ATP Race To London, while Raonic is currently in sixth position. Five places are up for grabs, after Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer have already qualified.
- Nishikori Opens Tokyo Campaign To Sold-Out Arena
- Djokovic, Wawrinka, Nishikori Headline In Asia; Nadal Returns To Action
- Nishikori Boosts London Chances With Kuala Lumpur Win
- Murray, Nishikori Look To Further London Bids In Sunday Finals
- Nishikori To Challenge Benneteau In Kuala Lumpur Final
- Nishikori Surges Into Kuala Lumpur Semis