US OPEN 2014
Monfils vs. Federer Preview Analysis
New York, U.S.A.
Roger Federer and Gael Monfils will contest the last of the US Open quarter-finals Thursday night at Flushing Meadows. Federer leads their FedEx ATP Head2Head series 7-2, with both of Monfils' victories coming indoors on hard court.
IBM data suggests that the key for Monfils in this match-up is his serve. He's been serving really well through four rounds in New York and has been broken only five times. His one serving concern will be double faults (27 in four matches). The other challenge for Monfils will be to not get too defensive. He has great offensive weapons, but tends to revert to playing defence - giving away court position, and relying on his incredible speed around the court to stay in points. That can be dangerous against a player who likes to attack as much as Federer.Monfils does like to change pace, mix in soft looping shots with powerful blasts from the baseline. That variety can be very effective for him.
Federer, a five-time US Open champion, is looking to improve his Arthur Ashe night match record to 26-1 and reach his third major semi-final of the season. Monfils is bidding to reach his first Grand Slam semi-final since Roland Garros 2008, when he was beaten by Federer.
For additional insight, visit www.ibm.com/sports.
- Strong serving - broken only five times in four rounds – 78 per cent first serve points won - 41 aces – 55 per cent second serve points won
- Converted 50 per cent of his break chances (12 of 42)
- Very solid from the backcourt - 63 forehand winners - 31 backhand winners – 55 per cent baseline points won
- Strong first serve - 40 aces – 81 per cent 1st serve points won – 39 per cent of serves are not hit back
- Returning very well against first serves (42 per cent won) - 23 breaks in 60 service games
- Aggressive ground game - 49 forehand winners - 24 backhand winners - effective when getting to net (67 per cent net approaches won) - 160 net approaches in four matches.
Statistcs courtesy: IBM
|57%||1st Serve %||62%|
|78%||1st Serve Points||81%|
|55%||2nd Serve Points||53%|
|22||Break Points Faced||20|
|92%||Service Games Held||90%|
|79%||Returns In Play||75%|
|39%||1st Return Points Won||42%|
|53%||2nd Return Points Won||53%|
|21||Breaks Of Serve||23|
|60||Return Games Played||60|
|35%||Return Games Won %||38%|
|57||Forehand Unforced Errors||46|
|43||Backhand Unforced Errors||35|
|31 of 47||Net Points Won||107 of 160|
|66%||Net Points Won Pct.||67%|
|55%||Baseline Points Won||51%|
|8:27||Time On Court||7:49|