Dolgopolov Tames Ferrer In Acapulco
Ukrainian knocks out defending champion
Alexandr Dolgopolov had not beaten a Top 10 player in the Emirates ATP Rankings since last fall, but he ended the drought with a comprehensive 6-4, 6-4 win over defending champion David Ferrer in the second round of the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco on Wednesday. The flashy Ukrainian hit 22 winners and overcame a late Ferrer challenge to move into his third quarter-final of the year.
Dolgopolov came into the match trailing 2-8 in his FedEx ATP Head2Head rivalry against the consistent Spaniard, but took command of the match from the baseline and secured his ninth win (9-36) against a player in the Top 10. His best showing in Acapulco came in 2011 and 2014, when he reached the semi-finals.
"I think everything suits me here. I’ve played well here on clay courts, I’ve played well here on hard courts and that’s why I’m coming back here and enjoying myself. It’s great to get wins like this," Dolgopolov said.
“I think I was quite calm. I was happy I’m on court because I was injured last week. That was the key I think. I played relaxed and the pressure was more on him. I was aggressive and went for my shots. They were the key points."
While disappointed at not having the chance to add a fifth Abierto Mexicano Telcel title to his swag, top seed Ferrer was putting the loss in perspective. “I will not dramatise after a defeat, at the end you have to seek for solutions to improve and nothing else,” Ferrer said.
“You can’t always play perfectly, and this time I wasn’t even close. From now on, I must keep thinking about the future.”
Ferrer admitted the humidity was a major factor in the match but was not using it as an excuse. “Heat was present for both of us,” he said. “I lost because my rival was much better. I don’t like excuses.”
Fifth seed Bernard Tomic overcame Adrian Mannarino 6-4, 6-4 to move into the quarter-finals. The Aussie won in 71 minutes and remains perfect against the French left-hander (3-0 at tour-level).
Dutchman Robin Haase needed two hours and 22 minutes to get past Brit Aljaz Bedene 6-4, 6-7(3), 6-4. The 28 year old was more effective on his second serve, winning 67 per cent of points, while he managed four breaks from eight opportunities.
Qualifier Ryan Harrison was unable to back up his upset of No. 3 seed Marin Cilic on Wednesday. The American narrowly went down to Ukrainian Illya Marchenko 7-6(3), 4-6, 7-6(5), despite leading with a break of serve at 3-1 in the third set.