Coric Powers Into First Masters 1000 QF
Raonic to face Thiem in QFs
NextGen star Borna Coric advanced into his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 quarter-final on Thursday at the Western & Southern Open, breaking third seed Rafael Nadal five times on his way to victory, 6-1, 6-3.
"He started the match very well, and I thought it was going to be very different," Coric said. "But that's tennis. One day you're going to play well, one day you're not going to play well.
The Croatian reeled off 10 consecutive games against Nadal to take the opening set and earn a 4-0 lead in the second set. Nadal received treatment on his left wrist after the first set and continued to fight valiantly, but struggled to find answers for Coric’s powerful groundstrokes. Coric closed out the match on his serve with his second match point.
Coric improves his FedEx ATP Head2Head rivalry against Nadal to 2-1. Next up for him is No. 12 seed Marin Cilic, who fired 25 aces in dismissing Tomas Berdych 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. Cilic leads the FedEx ATP Head2Head with Coric 1-0. Cilic's former coach Goran Ivanisevic is now working with Berdych.
Milos Raonic overcame a second-set dip to beat Yuichi Sugita 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 in the third round. The No. 4 seed fired 17 aces and hit 35 total winners to win in 94 minutes. Raonic, who is looking for his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title, is into his sixth Masters 1000 quarter-final of the year.
The match marked Sugita’s best showing at an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event. The 27-year-old Japanese qualifier won two matches on Wednesday, beating Alexander Zverev and Nicolas Mahut to reach the third round in Cincinnati for the first time.
CORIC: DID YOU KNOW?
- 1st teen in an ATP Masters 1000 QF since Gulbis at 2008 Cincinnati
- Youngest player in Cincinnati QF since Murray in 2006
- Youngest player in ATP Masters 1000 QF since Djokovic at 2006 Madrid
- Bidding to be 1st teen in Cincinnati SF since Sampras reached 1991 final
- Bidding to be 1st teen in ATP Masters 1000 SF since Djokovic and Murray at 2007 Miami
- Bidding to be youngest player in Cincinnati SF since Becker reached 1987 final
- Bidding to be youngest player in ATP Masters 1000 SF since Murray at 2006 Toronto
- Bidding to be 1st teen in ATP Masters 1000 final since Djokovic won 2007 Miami title
- Bidding to be youngest player in ATP Masters 1000 final since Nadal won 2005 Madrid title
- Bidding to be youngest Cincinnati champion since Becker in 1985