DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2013
Maradona Meets Federer, Djokovic, Del Potro
by ATP Staff|
Argentine footballing legend Diego Maradona met Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro and Novak Djokovic on Wednesday at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. Maradona, an Ambassador for the Dubai Sports Council, is a big tennis fan, and was a keen observer at the 2011 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
In both his meeting with World No. 1 Djokovic and No. 2 Federer, Maradona declared, “You are the No. 1”. The 1986 World Cup winner had earlier played a few points on court with countryman Juan Martin del Potro after the Tandil native’s victory over Somdev Devvarman.
"It's a pleasure to share moments with Diego," said del Potro. "All the Argentinian people love him, and he's our No. 1 sports representative in the world. To hit some balls with him here in this stadium, it's amazing for me.
"He played really well, not like football, but he can hit the balls with me. It was a funny moment for both of us. He loves tennis. He knows also Federer and Djokovic."
- Tidbits On The Top 50
- Becker To Become Head Coach Of Djokovic
- Best Off-Court Moments: Federer Visits South Africa, Delpo Meets The Pope
- 2013 By The Numbers: Match Wins and Ranking Improvements
- 2013 By The Numbers: First-Time Winners, Qualifiers, and Doubles
- Del Potro Wins Argentina’s Sportsman Of The Year Award