DUBAI DUTY FREE TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2013
Maradona Meets Federer, Djokovic, Del Potro
by ATP Staff|
Argentine footballing legend Diego Maradona met Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro and Novak Djokovic on Wednesday at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships. Maradona, an Ambassador for the Dubai Sports Council, is a big tennis fan, and was a keen observer at the 2011 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
In both his meeting with World No. 1 Djokovic and No. 2 Federer, Maradona declared, “You are the No. 1”. The 1986 World Cup winner had earlier played a few points on court with countryman Juan Martin del Potro after the Tandil native’s victory over Somdev Devvarman.
"It's a pleasure to share moments with Diego," said del Potro. "All the Argentinian people love him, and he's our No. 1 sports representative in the world. To hit some balls with him here in this stadium, it's amazing for me.
"He played really well, not like football, but he can hit the balls with me. It was a funny moment for both of us. He loves tennis. He knows also Federer and Djokovic."
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Del Potro Makes Progress, Practises Two-Handed Backhand
- Federer, Tiger Woods Are Most Financially Valuable Athletes
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Federer Meets Lindsey Vonn On 'Top Of Europe' In Lindt Challenge
- FedEx ATP Performance Zone: Hard Court Heavyweights