US OPEN 2013
Statistical Preview: Djokovic vs Nadal
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
Match-up: Nadal leads the FedEx ATP Head2Head 21-15 having won five of their last six meetings. Djokovic won seven straight from March 2011 through January 2012 including the 2012 Australian Open final which lasted five hours 53 minutes. Nadal won their last Grand Slam match earlier this year in Paris, 9-7 in the 5th set, in a relatively quick four hours 37 minutes.
Nadal held serve 73 straight games before getting broken in the second set of his semi-final here and has done it with placement and variety rather than sheer power. He's been moving his serves around the box to both the Deuce and Ad courts, going at the body quite a bit, and has used his lethal forehand to finish what his serve sets up.
When Djokovic was dominating Rafa in 2011, it was his two handed backhand crosscourt to the Nadal forehand that keyed his victories. Novak would use that shot to get Rafa deep and wide to his forehand side and that would open up the rest of the court. If Nadal answered back crosscourt, Djokovic had the down the line two hander (one of his favourite shots) and if Nadal hit his forehand down the line, Djokovic had a crosscourt forehand to make Nadal hit his backhand on the run. The challenge for Djokovic here is his backhand has not been as reliable as usual (32 backhand winners - 70 backhand unforced errors).
Buy Tickets | TV Schedule
• Solid consistent 1st serve - 69 per cent in play - 74 per cent 1st serve points won - won 61 per cent of 2nd serves
• Dominating return of serve - generated 86 break points in 21 sets played - broke serve 38 times - broke serve 7 or more times in 4 of 6 matches
• Forehand has been his weapon from the backcourt - 73 forehand winners (also had 77 forehand unforced errors)
• Amazing serving - broken just once in the tournament - faced only 12 break points in 19 sets played
• Dominating forehand from the baseline - 113 forehand winners
• Great play at net - won 108 of 133 net approaches (81 per cent)
|Novak Djokovic||Rafael Nadal|
|69%||1st Serve %||67%|
|74%||1st Serve Points||80%|
|61%||2nd Serve Points||64%|
|31||Break Points Faced||12|
|89%||Service Games Held||99%|
|78%||Returns In Play||75%|
|41%||1st Return Points Won||35%|
|58%||2nd Return Points Won||59%|
|38||Breaks Of Serve||33|
|86||Return Games Played||83|
|44%||Return Games Won %||40%|
|77||Forehand Unforced Errors||80|
|70||Backhand Unforced Errors||39|
|136 of 184||Net Points Won||108 of 133|
|74%||Net Points Won %||81%|
|57%||Baseline Points Won||58%|
|12:55||Time On Court||12:59|